Seniors, it’s time to think about finalizing your list and submitting applications! On August 1, the Common App will open and you can start this one-stop-shop application process which allows you to send your application to all the colleges on your list that accept the Common Application. So, one application and one essay topic! Keep in mind though that some colleges do require supplemental essays, so you may have a little more to do later.
When colleges closed their doors to in-person visits due to COVID-19, it was a bit difficult for students and parents to get a first-hand look to help make college decisions. The next best thing can be virtual tours. You can also watch YouTube videos featuring current students or attend college fairs, online or in-person, to explore which options may be the right fit for you. It can also be helpful to reach out to admission counselors to schedule a one-on-one virtual meeting. Some, like Abilene Christian University, are scheduling those calls with students and parents. Take advantage of those opportunities.
It can feel like there are tons of things to think about when researching colleges. We’ve broken down the top 5 things to help you get started and feel less overwhelmed.
Top 5 List to Consider when Finalizing your College List
- College is what you make of it. Decide for yourself what is essential and what isn’t.
- Focus on what you want to do in college rather than where you want to go.* Many schools offer an excellent education. Your goal is to think about what skills you want to acquire while in college to make you marketable when you leave.
- Think about the cost of college when you are finalizing your list. The less debt you incur will impact you after you graduate.
- Balance your list. Broaden your search. Don’t get fixated on one or two schools or only schools your friends want to attend. What is your long-term goal? What story do you want to tell in 10 years?
- Trust yourself to make the right decision. You have done the work to narrow down the list, now it’s time to get to work and put your best self forward when applying to each school.
Need help finalizing your list? We are here to help you navigate this process! Contact us today.Social tagging: applications > college > college list building